Books

On the cover: Carrie Swigart and her sister, Rhoda, both single women, claimed adjoining homesteads near Elgin, Arizona. They lived in a tent straddling the line between their homesteads for several months before erecting this building. Carrie is seen looking out the window of this first structure which was erected on her side of the line. Rhoda is at the doorway in the snow. Late 1913.

 

Click here to read an excerpt from this book.

 

On the cover: John Horton Slaughter astride his horse with baby May Watkins in his lap. The distinctive picket fence that enclosed the yard of the main ranch house on Slaughter's San Bernardino Ranch is seen in the background. The huge ranch was made up of approximately 65,000 acres of grassland straddling the border near Douglas, Arizona, with one-third in the United States and two-thirds in Mexico. It was the scene of Geronimo's first surrender to General Nathan Crook in 1886 and served as a military outpost during the Mexican Revolution. Pancho Villa and his troops camped there on the Mexican side of the line after his defeat in 1915 in the Battle of Agua Prieta, Spring 1901. (Courtesy of the Burns family.)

 

Click here to read an excerpt from this book.

 

On the cover: Mark and Nellie Bartlett homesteaded the Mustang Ranch in Elgin in 1912. Their daughter Fern and her husband, Captain Stone Collie, remodeled the original house and opened it as a guest ranch in the early 1930s. This windmill, on the neighboring Rose Tree Ranch, offered visitors a convenient place to stop and water their horses during trail rides. The ranch is named for the Mustang Mountains, seen in the background. The most recognizable peak in the range is a local landmark known as The Biscuit. Riders are, from left to right, Patrick Mercurio, Marka Collie Moss, Stone Collie, two unidentified guests, and Jane Collie Woods. (Collie family collection, Marka Moss, and Jane Woods.)

 

Click here to read an excerpt from this book.

 

 

On the cover: Shipping cattle from the Sonoita stockyards in the early 1950s. The photo was taken by Mary Boice of the Empire Ranch with one of the first Polaroid cameras. (Courtesy of Mary and Frank Boice family and the Empire Ranch Foundation.)

 

 

Click here to read an excerpt from this book.

 

On the cover: Adobe barn with traditional tin roof was built in the early 1900s at Patti and Andy Kelly’s Umpire Ranch in Canelo. (Betty Barr photo.)

 

 

Click here to read an excerpt from this book.

 

On the cover: Captain James H. Tevis, first Arizona Ranger, commissioned in 1860 by Dr. Lewis S. Owings, Provisional Governor of Arizona, to raise a company of Rangers for the protection of the settlers. Original photo by C.S. Fly, “Colored Work and Instantaneous Photos a Specialty,” Tombstone, Arizona, 1886. (Courtesy University of Arizona Special Collections Library.)

 

Click here to read an excerpt from this book.